Bonn, 3 November 2020. The sale of two large clinics to Helios, agreed upon back in August, was signed and sealed yesterday. The two transactions, involving Malteser Klinikum in Duisburg, with 608 beds and 1,345 employees, and St. Josefshospital, located in Krefeld‑Uerdingen, with 262 beds and 392 employees, first had to receive the blessing of the anti‑trust authorities. Now that this approval has been granted, both acquisitions have been completed.
As far back as at the end of May this year, Helios Kliniken, Berlin, had already acquired the Maltese acute care hospital Seliger Gerhard in Bonn, with its 401 beds and 750 employees, as well as a hospital pharmacy and a logistics centre in Kerpen. In addition, Malteser had already sold a clinic to another provider in spring of this year. The divestiture of a total of six large German acute care hospitals constitutes one of the major transactions in the German health care market in recent years.
The background to these transactions is the decision by Malteser Group to divest six of its eight acute care hospitals, as high‑quality care cannot be guaranteed in a sustainable way at all locations due to increasing costs and decreasing revenue.
Once again, the law firm Redeker Sellner Dahs is assisting Malteser Deutschland gGmbH.
Under the leadership of Redeker partner Dr. Jürgen Lüders, this complex transaction was implemented by a cross‑location, interdisciplinary team:
Consultant Malteser Deutschland gGmbH – Redeker Sellner Dahs
- Dr Jürgen Lüders, vBP, Partner, Corporate/M&A – Lead Management, Munich/Bonn
- Dr Markus Dierksmeier, LL.M., Partner, Corporate/M&A, Bonn
- Eugen Kunz, Counsel, Corporate/M&A, Bonn
- Dr Cathrin Brünkmans, Associate, Corporate/M&A, Bonn
- Axel Groeger, Partner, Labour Law, Bonn
- Ira Gallasch, Associate, Labour Law, Munich
- Wibke Scheermann, Associate, Corporate, Bonn
- Dr Andreas Rosenfeld, Partner, Cartel Law, Bonn/Brussels
- Dr Sebastian Steinbarth, LL.M., Partner, Antitrust Law, Brussels
- Dr Christian‑Dietrich Bracher, Partner, Hospital Law, Bonn
- Sabine Wildfeuer, Partner, IT Law, Berlin
- Caroline Glasmacher, LL.M. (Melbourne), Associate, IT Law, Berlin
- Hans‑Peter Hoh, Partner, Real Estate Law, Munich
- Alexander Leidig, Partner, Real Estate Law, Bonn
- Dr Cornelius Böllhoff, Partner, Data Protection Law, Berlin/Munich
Helios Kliniken GmbH – Inhouse
- Dirk Schneider LL.M., Berlin (Head of Law and Transactions)
- Carolin Tetzel, LL.M. (Head of Legal and Transactions)
- Olga Sonnschein‑Löser (Central Legal and Transactions Service)
- Norbert Kunz (Central Legal and Transactions Service)
- André Wagner (Central Legal and Transactions Service)